Storm warnings have been issued
With strong winds and heavy rain forecast for parts of the country so it could be time to start battening down the hatches! We’ve put together some information to help you protect your property from storm damage.
When heavy winds are forecast
- In advance of heavy winds, hire a professional to check for problems (for example loose roof tiles). After the storm, these should be checked again for any damage.
- Listen to local radio or search the internet for the latest information and updates in your area.
- Put away garden furniture and any other items kept outside that might get blown around and cause damage.
- Secure gates and shed doors.
- Be ready to turn off essential supplies – gas, electricity and water – at the mains.
- Prepare an emergency pack to include torch, first aid kit, warm clothes, blankets and water and make sure your mobile phone is fully charged.
In addition to the above, here are some considerations for businesses:
- Your health and safety arrangements should consider the safety of employees, customers and visitors who are on your premises at a time when a severe storm is due. Consider what needs to happen to ensure they can get home safely before the weather gets too dangerous.
- If you have time (before the storms arrives) to safely do so, make back-up copies of your computer systems data and arrange for copies to be stored in a safe place.
Weather alerts are available from the Met Office, and you can also sign up for storm warnings from the:
What to do in the event of severe weather
If you’re an Evans Insurance customer, affected by severe weather and need to make a claim, please contact us or your Insurer directly (details of which are included on your policy documents).
We are Experienced Insurance Brokers, based in Essex, and can help ensure you have the right level of cover.
- Through our Live Chat
- By emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also call us on 01708 289 525