Pub & Restaurant Insurance

Running a pub or restaurant, whether it’s a delightful countryside inn, gastro pub, or a bustling inner-city bar, comes with its own unique challenges.

Whatever sort of pub or restaurant you run, they carry a number of risks for you, your customers, staff and neighbours. In the busy working environmentpub-restaurant-insurance things can go wrong. Accidents can happen when you least expect, more so when that environment is open to the public. When alcohol is involved the risks greatly multiply.

To protect those that visit or work in your pub or restaurant having adequate business insurance is essential – and in some cases a legal requirement.


Types of Insurance for Pubs & Restaurants

The most common types of Insurance purchased are:-


Public Liability – Public Liability Insurance is often a very important cover for pubs, restaurants and most other trades. In pubs and restaurants there are plenty of opportunities for accidental spillages, slips, insurance-brokers-essextrips and falls. This insurance can protect you if someone is injured or their property is damaged because of your business.

Employers’ Liability – In order to protect all employees in the UK, it’s a legal requirement for most businesses with employees to have at least £5 million of cover in place. This is required to cover even unpaid or voluntary staff, even if they are friends or relatives. This insurance covers the cost of defending or negotiating an employee’s claim that they have suffered bodily injury or disease due to the work they do for you. It can also cover the cost of defending a related criminal prosecution if the accident or disease happened due to a law or regulation had been broken.

Property Damage – This can cover accidental or malicious damage to the buildings, contents and fixtures and fittings. It will also cover for fire, flood and break-in damage.


Other insurances available are:-


Loss of Liquor License Insurance – Loss of license offers protection for forfeiture of your license for the sale of alcohol due to licensing regulations or refusal to renew by the licensing authority due to causes beyond the pub’s control. It should be noted that a general exclusion would be serving underage drinkers. This would be deemed under the pub’s control and not covered.

Interruption of Business – This Insurance is designed to cover loss of income should you need to close your premises for any reason out of your control, such as the premises being flooded. It can alleviate at least the financial burden of being unable to carry on working.

Stock Insurance – Stock, particularly in pubs, can often be worth a considerable amount. This makes them an attractive target for criminals. Pubs should think about installing a maintained alarm – this may deter thieves and make your business more attractive to insurers.

Money Cover – Pubs and restaurants generally handle a lot of cash. Adequate money insurance can cover you both when in transit or in a night safe when the property is unoccupied.



We are Experienced Insurance Brokers, based in Essex, and can help ensure you have the right level of cover.

If you would like us to talk you through Pub & Restaurant Insurance please get in touch with us. We can offer a no-obligation quote too. You can contact us:

  • Through our Live Chatinsurance-brokers-romford
  • By emailing us at
  • You can also call us on 01708 289 525